statcounter

Tuesday 10 March 2009

Gear - Episode One


Just for feedback - I bought a 1.7 litre Primus ETA pan from backpackinglight. Ta for those people who recommended that one. Oddly, though, the price of these things goes down the bigger they get. So, I thinks to myself- wot holds a lot, will hold a little, and, me being a bit of a pig where troughing is concerned , I thought, why not get a biggun? (My dinner up Swaledale for instance was a microwave fried rice (you can cook these in a pan) -serves two, and a Stag . Why do they call it "Stag"? - Sweet and Sour Chicken - also serves two. Thats four. No wonder I couldn't move for 14 hours. This is also why I was confifdent about not being blown away in the energetic breezes coming over the Pennines and rattling me flysheet. Too heavy, see?
I also bought a sleeping bag. I will not yet reveal what it is, as its out of stock just now, but it wasn't anything discussed on this ere interwebby thing. But never mind. I enjoyed the feedback, and I still want one of each of the bags recommended to me. Its just that, basically, I'm a shivering sop when the weather gets cool. Its me tablets wot does it. I have uncomfortable nights. I wear hats and use animals as hot water bottles (mainly dogs as it happens). I stuff bracken into me baselayers. I whinge and moan and yearn for the dawn. So I got something to keep me warmer than the other ones. I will reveal eventually. I am eating my own ears in anticipation. Not bought a rucksack yet. I may well go to Durham tommorrow to see if I can get one. In any event, they have a wild range of kippers in the market, and you can buy dismantled Durham rabbits and Coverdale cheese - and then there's the Cathedral which always repays a visit with a bit of QUIET.. Sometimes they sing in latin or pitmatic....
Or you can wander by the riverside and then suddenly wonder where you are....
Pic of a breakfast in an army mess tin.
Wots wrong with army mess tins anyway? You can get them for 50pence...

No comments: