statcounter

Tuesday 21 October 2008

G'bye, old friend (sob)





Last week, on the windy summit of Moel-yr-Hydd (pronounced "Moel-yr-Hydd"), my old friend and walking companion of thirty-one years sadly (sniff) and suddenly (whimper) passed away. (quiver) This is a horrible thing to happen in the middle of a walk, as I'm sure you will agree.


I had to carry my friend down off the hill, put him into the boot of the car and bring him home to County Durham.


In the end, it was just old age. he'd had a rusty bottom for a few years now. But I ignored it, as you do. Thought it might heal up, somehow. It didn't seem to bother him, and he managed to keep warm even through the worst winter weather. But suddenly, and disastrously, last week the glass interior had become detached from the plastic neck due to severe corrosion and the final moments were a haemorrhage of warm green tea all over my new caggy. I'm only now able to talk about it without... but I'm choking up as I type....


I've had him since 1977. Now he's gone. There's a big space in my rucksack....next to the tupperware box.....


Sniffle.
Still, I could probbly get a new one for a cuppla quid at the Shell Station,,,

2 comments:

Becky Boo said...

Is mum still shouting 'BUT IT@S ONLY 31!?!'?

Mike Knipe said...

I think she's gone quiet now.

The tablets must have started to work....