statcounter

Thursday 7 September 2023

Goodbye to LTD. Welcome to Ringo

Unfortunately Blogger's functionality is getting worse, which is a big shame for this particular post. Anyway, I will try to soldier on and see what is produced in the end. The preview suggets that the pictures are all over the place and one has randomly disappeared.

Fans of LTD (Lucky The Dog) may well be upset that he had to be euthanised in July. I noticed, sometime in June that he was getting lethargic and just after a routine visit to the vet he was collapsing and fitting. Various medicines were tried and, in the end some steroids returned him to normality for a few weeks. But the fits began again and he became very fragile and unable to walk very far.

We had a final wild camp to Druridge Bay but in the morning he was clearly struggling to walk back to the car. 

After more fits, he made the final journey to the vet.

LTD had been my dog since August 2014. He'd bagged more than 1000 hills and been on many backpacking trips. He specially enjoyed the bits of camping that involved snuggling in his woofbag and not really doing much else until it was time to pack up and go - and he was often a bit reluctant to leave his bed.

He was a friendly dog, except to other dogs, who sometimes got too close. And he hated water and would walk around puddles. There was never any chance of him swimming other than by accident. Apart from attacking other dogs, he was no bother at all.

And then came Ringo. Ringo is a border collie and  a failed farm dog. He came from a farm in South Tynedale, just a bit North of Alston. I don't know why he failed. He's very playful and inquisitive and we're slowly forming a team. At the moment his walking on a lead is hard work but he's very friendly, even to other dogs, which is a Good Thing and a nice change.

One of us will die first. The nature of these things is that, if you have a dog, and you get attached to the pooch, that almost inevitably the dog will be the first to go and that you will grieve. Grief is the tax to be paid on love. I'm beginning to believe that it isn't a negative emotion at all, no matter how uncomfortable it is at the time. 

I hope that, in time, I will grieve for Ringo, although at my advanced age, there's a chance that it will be the other way around. Maybe we can both slip into dotage together and neither of us will be capable of recognising that one of us has gone.

Or perhaps we will be rewarded by the honour of being the subject of somebody's grief.

In the meantime, Ringo has had 3 tent nights, bagged 24 hills , and walked a couple of hundred miles with me. I think we'd best try to get on with stuff whilst we can.

7 comments:

Mike Knipe said...

Thanks Sir Hugh. I the afternoons, when the telly got too boring, there was always a time when I really should have been taking the pooch for a wander and, suddenly there was no dog. I put up with it for two or three weeks then started a search, ending up with a manic border collie.
I suspect that Blogger has had it's day too - I've not posted anything for quite a while but I might do a TGO challenge one soon as it's That Time of Year when people are considering applying. I'll have to get my arse in gear though.

Dawn said...

. Lucky was a one of a kind dog, unique in many ways. The bond between the two you stood out. He will be missed many and I am sure many folk shed a tear at the sad news. Wish you and Ringo well, he could not have gone to a better home

Violet Waters said...

Love this

Anonymous said...

Love this

Danny said...

Best wishes to you and your new walking companion, we met in the Hare & Hounds Lothersdale many years ago.I've read all your Blogs since, I think Old Mortality summed Blogger up in a comment to my
Wednesday, 16 April 2014 fill in a sunny day Blog :-
That's all very well, Danny, but i've told you before that what the public want is stats (distance, height,average speed, calories expended,inside leg etc) and details of the overpriced designer clothing you were wearing.
Now, personally, i thoroughly enjoyed it,and will read it again and perhaps follow up some of the references.
But then, what the fuck do i know ? OM.
Cheers from Danny + Teddy

Mike Knipe said...

Ah now Danny, was it the Hare and Hounds or the Black Lane Ends pub? I remember Old Mortality - he visited me at the Cairngorm footbridge with a bottle of fine scotch. Bless 'im. Thatns for the comment. Ah yes, nostalgia, is it just a pain in the nose?

Quinn said...

Sorry to hear about Lucky, but the two of you certainly had many fine adventures together. Wishing you and Ringo more of the same.