statcounter

Saturday 28 March 2020

Another Shortish Walk: Holy Well and Bitchburn

Yet another 5 mile walk to prevent the brain from going completely off the rails (it still has 3 out the 4 wheels on the rails). Actually, spending yesterday in the sun in the back garden with LTD snoozing away beside me was no bad thing. I don't have much to worry about, really - I have an NHS pension and an age-related pension, so, provided the government doesn't run out of money I..er... actually, that's a bit worrying innit?
This walk was a bit of an exploration - that is to say, I explored paths I'd never explored before. But the route works - it's a bit obscure at one point and I did get seduced into a random exploration of North Bitchburn Woods from Howden le Wear, but that was interesting and I return and explore some more. Bitch Burn (or Beech Burn) is a significant stream with some deep pools, but it flows through Crook and it has, quite obviously, carried large amounts of plastic downstream, much of which is stuck in the flood debris, which also seems to consist principally of the remains of industrial buildings and lumps of coal. But it's potentially a very nice spot and, unmapped by ordnance survey is a huge asset to the people of Howden le Wear who, judging by the wear on the paths, use it quite a bit.

The walk also sports a really really old oak tree and, at the moment, pregnant sheep and newly born lambs. It's really important to keep the dog, if you have a dog, under very very close control amongst the sheep and lambs. Just sayin' - don't let the pooch run about is what I'm saying.

And, in contrast to yesterday's weather, today it was cold and there were  driving sleety showers, which is not LTD's favourite thing. In fact a naughty shower just like this interrupted his rolling in something I couldn't identify. And he ate whatever it was before I could take it off him.
The walk is 5.4 miles and 550 feet of upness, starting from Crook Market Place. I did 7 miles, due to not starting or finishing in Crook Market Place, but from Pietowers and including a perambulation of North Bitchburn Woods and getting lost a bit at one point. Here's a map.

No comments: