statcounter

Tuesday 19 September 2017

Fight Club Hiking in Mottram

DSCN1958

Fight Club Hikers and erstwhile TGO challengers Paddy and Gill decided to host a weekend at Burrows-Mott Towers this last weekend, so me and LTD went along and got there eventually, after bagging a rather lovely Tump near Huddersfield (Cheese Gate Nab) and sitting in a traffic jam for 90 minutes somewhere near Tintwistle.

Pete from Anglesey also turned up and Steve did a substantial amount of the  cooking, and he was very good at it too.

Me, Paddy, Gill and LTD had a little 8-mile trundle around some reservoirs, and up on to Wild Bank Hill from where fine views of Manchester included the local branch of Ikea, The Hilton and Winter Hill and that hill just outside Helsby wot me and Dawn went up on the way to Wales.

Some wine and beer was drunk, as was I.

DSCN1949

On Sunday, after bagging the diminutive and, probably private Mottram Hill, me and LTD came back up North via the M1 and various other roads.

And some peeps may remember that a while back, I hinted at some health issues…..

I now have five appointments for various nurses who have instructions to stab me with needles and remove huge quantities of my very own lifeblood, and a dietitian, and a diabetic nurse. The diabetic nurse clearly has the same problem as me. And somebody else needs to look into my eyes, apparently.

Then there’s the invite for a flu jab.

DSCN1954DSCN1957

I’ve been instructed, pro-tem to stop eating sugar altogether and, so far, I’ve been fairly successful at this and I spend quite a lot of time peering at labels on packets of food and/or googling foodstuffs to discover their calory/sugar content.

I’m hoping that my career as a diabetic will be unsuccessful and, fairly short. In nopt scoffing any sugar, I’ve also lost a bit of weight and discovered that my speed up steeply arranged contours has increased a bit. In fact, I’m feeling pretty healthy. And the lack of chocolate on walkies doesn’t seem to have had much effect in terms of energy….

I’ve also been stabbed by a nurse (just a little prick, Mr Widdle) to discover if the pains in my knee I had recently was, in fact, a gout attack. I’m not sure why, but, they want to have another go at this test, so that’s another appointment. Maybe it was a bit borderline. I should ask, really, but I’m keepong away in case they find another disease for me to have.

So, now, I’m, officially a gouty diabetic with a dicky ticker.

And I’ve just applied for the 2018 TGO challenge.

FFS.

DSCN1960

Anyway – thanks to Gill and Paddy for the hospitality. It were a right good do. LTD enjoyed the long sleeps, the walks and Gill’s cuddles and I enjoyed everything else.

Whatever happened to Mottram bypass, though?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Mottram By-Pass. Now thereby hangs a tale that's been going on for decades and decades.....

And very well done with the not eating sugar. Doesn't nearly everything have sugar in? And what can you eat instead of chocolate?

FellBound said...

Ooo er. Hope they get you fettled. Tell them to leave the needles sticking in and you can play at being a hedgehog.

Dawn said...

Sounds as if you had a good time. It can be a worry, all these bits of illness. You are tough though, all that northern grit? and I am sure you will get through this. At least the NHS is taking notice and doing something. Hang in there Mike.

Mike Knipe said...

Nuts, Chrissie. And bananas. And there's a go-ahead bar which has dates in it (I'm specially fond of the 23rd of March)
Fellbound - I'm getting used to the pricks... most things do have "sugars" in them (a few things don't seem to have, or don't have much) - but the prohibition is for "sugar". i.e. the stuff peeps put in their tea. - as far as I can tell, anyway, I haven't actually had much advice at this point and what I have had has sometimes been contradictory. I took the advice about "sugar" though as it seemed to make sense.
Tar Dawn. I'm not unhappy about this, and I feel well, better, even than a few weeks before the sugar-ban.

Alan Sloman said...

Oh.
This doesn't sound too cheery, Sir. Beer - is beer on the proscribed list of things that will surely kill you?
I had one of those lists for a few years before my brother came up trumps with a second hand spare part. It was a miserable time.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the sugar thing should do it.

Bag End Gardener said...

Ah, but you can eat chocolate. As long as you go for the Lindt 90% stuff, which has only 14g of carbohydrate in an entire bar - or more sensibly, 2g in a portionif you break off two squares.

Although not officially diagnosed as diabetic, I have significant glucose intolerance but can keep things on a fairly even keel by doing as you have discovered - eating very carefully. If you can develop a taste for the very dark Lindt I feel obliged to give a warning that it will completely ruin your enjoyment what you might now consider to be ‘normal chocolate’. And the other thing is that very few other people will attack your choccy stash behind your back!!!

Mike Knipe said...

Alan - Beer appears not to be proscribed, but shandy is another matter. (Not such a huge loss) Life is surely a balance between a short and happy one and a long and miserable one.
Jayne - This sounds like Good News. I think I could manage Lindt dark chocolate... I'm beginning to detect over-sugaring of processed foods and it's not very nice, really. I had the same effect when I stopped scoffing salt! (Non-salted crisps now taste of potatoes...)