statcounter

Saturday 29 November 2008

Great Whernside in the frost











It was minus six degrees somewhere near Richmond this morning as I drove down to Kettlewell. Seems to be shaping up for a wintery winter...
Me and superdawg and my nephew had this little wander around Great Whernside on what seemed to be a very short day. We took a bridleway on the South side of Dowber Gill, a route that I'd never climbed before despite many, many trips up this hill. From the end of the bridleway, we could walk most of the ridge of Gt Whernside to the trig on the top, where there were lots and lots of people with their dawgs. No other super dawgs, though. It was all very frosty and cold and the air was fairly clear - and there was just a little frozen snow around. Some othe r nearby Pennines seem to have had a bit more...
Anyway, we could see the Lake District hills, and steam from various cooling towers somewhere in Yorkshire (not Drax, surely??) and a nuclear-explosion-type cloud over Teeside. I was assured that no such explosion has taken place today, though as many people would have noticed it and, likely, would have reported it to the appropriate authorities.
We came the short, steep and frozen slippery way down the hill and back to Kettlewell via the Park Rash Brigantian earthworks/defences - aka Tor Dyke - all the while putting the world to rights about the benefits of sitting about on the hills listening to skylarks and pipits and stuff - something I must make time for next summer.... the consequence of all this talk is that I failed to take many pics.
Home earlyish cos it went dark again.
Used me birthday gloves....

3 comments:

Martin Rye said...

What photos you did take are appreciated Mike. How is the Challenge planning going?

Mike Knipe said...

Ta Martin (sory about the delay, Ive been playing out...)
Challenge planning is going slowly - Ive got a route, I just need to commit it to a route sheet.
I won't need to do any more to it til next year ionce thats done cos I'll be camping all the way across... (Unless my vetter says "You'ra 'aving a larf...."!)

Martin Rye said...

Same here Mike. I'll camp wild and the odd night on a site.